Search This Blog

Monday, June 1, 2009

Daily Headaches

Many Americans have head aches. I was lucky. I did not have headaches till I was suddenly hospitilized with encephalitis. I was married, two young children, a principal of an elementary school. My life was about to change and I was not even aware that I was seriously ill.

It has been six years since I had to retire from the elementary school Principal's position I worked so long and hard to acheive. In October 2009 it will be ten years I have lived with memory loss, headaches, depression and tiredness.

I now work at a wonderful Nursing Home. I run activities (part time) for my friends that live there. I also have taught my self to appreciate the relationships I have in life. I love my family, friends, horses, dogs, cats and most of all myself. My spirituality has grown. I love that I know God. I know and feel a part of all that is.

I labeled this Blog Living with Pain - Patti I am not bitter this happened to me. I realize that at my age I am fortunate to be apart of so many lives. I love to acheive. I love to learn new things. I am a leader; although not in schools. Yes, I was and am very sad to give that up but, I have gained much.

First, I listened to my friend, Mary. She asked me: "Are you affraid to work?" I thought long and hard......"yes, I am." I was not sure I could. My headaches were daily. I was affraid I would not remember things. And, who would want me.

After she left, I was looking at ads in a local paper. "PT Activities Assistant wanted for family owned nursing home." I called, had an interview and got the job. I can remember the boss of activities saying "Our residents get attached to workers. I hope you don't plan on leaving." I have now been there longer than any activity worker even the person that hired me has moved onto another position.

I work evenings, I wear a hat to keep the floresent lights off my eyes. I love what the residents have given me. Love....and in return I have given them love right back.

I will write more later. I hope you have something you can add. I still have headaches, memory loss, depression and tiredness. I just try to continue to search for answers to help alleviate the problem causing the systoms I have. I am much better than I was five or six years ago. I plan to continue to improve. I am tired and going to bed.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment